A timeline of events at St Catherine’s:
1212: James de Lostock is registered as living in Lostock Hall, the property he built on the site where the hospice now stands today.
1764: The present old house is re-built by William Clayton, the banker of Preston.
1829: Death of William’s son George Clayton, who had inherited the house and lived there with his wife Dolly.
1881: Hall purchased by Harry Dewhurst of Messrs Geo & R. Dewhurst - founders of the Silko cotton thread works - who lived there until 1918.
1922: The hall and its grounds – donated by Mr Dewhurst to Preston Royal Infirmary – open as Lostock Hall Convalescent Hospital for women and children, under the Lancashire Area Health Authority.
1981: Kitty Sharples and the other founder trustees formally establish St. Catherine's Hospice (Lancashire) Limited as a charity. The group purchase the redundant house and grounds from the NHS and begin a programme of renovation.
1985: On April 29 – the feast of St Catherine of Siena, after whom the hospice is named – day care begins at St Catherine’s. On July 8 an In-Patient Unit for up to 12 patients opens.
1993: An extension providing extra in-patient beds is opened by Diana Princess of Wales.
1997: Extension works to increase day care provision to 20 patients a day begins. Therapy and rehabilitation services, together with clinical and administrative offices and an enlarged education unit, are also introduced.
1998: Extension - designed by Ken Latham, the hospice architect for 20 years - is opened by president, Dr Raymond Consiglio, in June.
2004 – 2011: The Love Jeanette fundraising appeal; three successful bids for major funds from the Department of Health; and a number of generous donations, enable further major refurbishment to be carried out.
Recent work has focused on providing more single patient rooms with ensuite facilities and space for relatives to stay with patients overnight.
Other projects have included fitting a new heating system; building a larger kitchen; introducing outpatient facilities and a new laundry; refurbishing Day Therapy rooms and the reception area; and building a safer entrance driveway and extra car park.