This March St Catherine’s Hospice is joining with hospices around the country, and the national hospice charity Hospice UK, to put the spotlight on the work we do and the difference it makes as part of the Open Up campaign.
The theme of this year’s campaign is hospice care at home, and aims to raise awareness of the support St Catherine’s provides outside of the hospice building in Lostock Hall, and celebrate the home-from-home atmosphere we pride ourselves on at the hospice.
Sadly we know that not everyone who could benefit from our specialised care accesses it – for various reasons. It could be because they believe that a hospice ‘isn’t for them’, maybe because of their age, ethnicity or the disease they are living with.
As an independent local charity – which receives only a quarter of our funding from the NHS – pressures on our resources also limit the number of patients and families we are able to care for at any one time.
But our vision is that everyone in Central Lancashire – regardless of age, gender, sexuality or ethnicity – who is facing a life-shortening illness receives the support they need to be able to have a good quality of life, to the end of life.
That’s why, during March, we’re asking you to get on board and help us ‘open up’ hospice care – making a contribution, however small, towards helping more people in Central Lancashire who need hospice care, get hospice care.
• Collect spare change at home – every penny really does make a difference
• Open Up your wardrobe and donate any quality pre-loved goods to the hospice for sale in our charity shops across the area
• Make a donation
• Connect with us on social media @StCatherinesPre and help our messages reach further
• Donate an unwanted gift as a raffle or tombola prize for the hospice
• Cook up a storm by taking part in the #TasteOfHome initiative which encourages people to cook a dish which reminds them of home and then invite family, friends, neighbours or colleagues round to dinner in return for a donation. From grandma’s Lancashire hotpot to dad’s signature spaghetti, whatever you serve up you’ll be showing your support for St Catherine’s with every mouthful!
For more information contact the hospice’s community engagement team on 01772 629171 / email email@example.com