1212: James de Lostock is registered as living in Lostock Hall, the property he built on the site where the hospice now stands today.
1764: The present old house is re-built by William Clayton, the banker of Preston.
1829: Death of William’s son George Clayton, who had inherited the house and lived there with his wife Dolly.
1881: Hall purchased by Harry Dewhurst of Messrs Geo & R. Dewhurst, who lived there until 1918.
1922: The hall and its grounds – donated by Mr Dewhurst to Preston Royal Infirmary – open as Lostock Hall Convalescent Hospital for women and children, under the Lancashire Area Health Authority.
1980-82: Kitty Sharples instigates the founding of the first fundraising committee and chaired the meeting on 7 December 1981 when St Catherine’s Hospice (Lancashire) Limited is established as a charity. John Turner, one of the signatories to the founding document, has continued to serve St Catherine’s as a trustee ever since.
Lostock Hall Convalescent Hospital, where the hospice stands today, closes. St Catherine’s Hospice purchases the redundant house and grounds from the NHS and begins a programme of renovation.
1985: On 29 April – the feast of St Catherine of Siena – Day Care begins at St Catherine’s and on 8 July an In-Patient Unit for up to 12 patients opens. Visit by HRH Princess Alexandra.
1990-95: Light Up A Life celebration and memorial evening begins.
An extension providing beds for a further 7 patients is opened by HRH Princess Diana of Wales. The hospice lottery begins followed by the first Symphony at the Tower.
1996-98: Extension works to increase Day Care provision for up to 20 patients a day begins. Therapy and rehabilitation services, clinical and administrative offices and meeting rooms open the following year. Visit by HRH Duchess of Norfolk.
2005-08: Patient rooms are improved and converted from multiple-occupancy to more spacious single and double rooms with en-suite facilities including space for relatives to stay overnight. A separate ambulance entrance is built. Visit by HRH the Countess of Wessex.
St Catherine’s appoints a Consultant in Palliative Medicine as Medical Director to further enhance care provision. The Chair of the Board, Cliff Hughes, is awarded an MBE.
The lower lawn area is created by Preston North and local rotary clubs from a disused overgrown ‘wilderness’ that had once been a vegetable garden.
The Woodside Clinic is opened to extend Lymphoedema and other outpatient services. Utilities are updated including the heating system, generator, kitchen and laundry.
The Moonlight Walk is launched followed by the Santa Dash.
2009-10: St Catherine’s Advice Line is launched. St Catherine’s new education service commences its work that will go on to support care homes throughout Central Lancashire. Seven-day working is extended to the Community Clinical Nurse Specialist Team and further work is carried out to extend care for patients with life-shortening conditions in addition to cancer.
An electronic patient record system is introduced to enhance care through improved communication with multi-disciplinary teams.
It is discovered that Lostock Hall, built around 1750, is close to collapse, a new steel framework is built within the old building, Day Therapy rooms are redesigned and refurbished and, second floor offices become open plan.
Day Therapy begins a new pattern of working to enhance patient benefits. Reception and the gift shop are redesigned and refurbished into a brighter and more welcoming area along with a new safer driveway and a much needed additional car park. A refurbishment programme begins for the hospice’s charity shops.
2011-13: Piped oxygen is introduced to help more patients with breathing difficulties, the chapel is refurbished and a new patient room with ensuite is opened. The Donation Centre moves on-site and new software to manage donations is introduced. An annual hospice Wills Week is introduced.
St Catherine’s Homecare Partnership is launched to help more people at home. A new sensory garden is built and work on a wetland commences. The Symphony at the Tower is extended to 2 nights and the first St Catherine’s Christmas Festival takes place.
2013-15: St Catherine’s befriending service is launched to support more patients and carers at home. The Woodside Clinic is extended to include a wet-room and two more therapy rooms. The Mill café and community hub with meeting rooms, information and therapies is constructed. A new charity boutique is opened in Penwortham.
Car parks are further extended to cope with demand and an essential new footbridge will be built by Preston North and South Rotary Clubs.
2015 onwards: St Catherine’s Park is formally opened with a new footbridge and gateway, and an upgrade of the older footbridge. Redecoration of patient rooms and corridors and a small self-service café is opened.
The on-going development of St Catherine’s Hospice over the past 30 years would not have been possible without the local community’s generous support, as well as special grants and awards won from public bodies, businesses and charitable trusts. Thank you for your wonderful support.