The Mill is our welcoming cafe and community hub, situated in the grounds of St Catherine’s Park.
Since The Mill launched in November 2014 it has gone from strength to strength, achieving its many varied aims.
- Opening up St Catherine’s and its grounds to the public – breaking down barriers which can surround the word ‘hospice’ by making the place more accessible and familiar
- Creating a normal and welcoming environment to be enjoyed by patients, families, and members of the public
- Offering support for those facing serious illness or bereavement in a more informal way, via volunteer advisors, drop-in sessions and light-touch therapies – supporting our Compassionate Communities agenda
- Strengthening the sustainability of the hospice through profits raised from the café, long-term leases and room hire
- Encouraging new and ongoing support for St Catherine’s from customers who go on to become donors, fundraisers and volunteers for the charity
If you’d like to find out more about what’s on at The Mill or book a table click here
Exciting new chapter for The Mill
In the summer of 2019, work will begin on extending The Mill to increase capacity in the cafe – which has become a victim of its own success with more demand than we can currently satisfy.
The extension will provide room for another 30 customers in a dual-use space which will also be available to hire as a function room, since the café also has over-demand for private bookings for occasions like funeral receptions, birthday celebrations and baby showers. The plans include a new shop and for new storage and welfare facilities to be built in place of the existing out-buildings which are in poor condition.
Phase two will build on The Mill’s success in opening up the hospice to the local community, and in providing another source of regular income which is so important to the long-term sustainability of the charity, since all profits are donated to St Catherine’s.
Secure a personal piece of history in St Catherine’s Park
Could you be a Cornerstone in the development of St Catherine’s Park for future generations?
We’re excited to launch an exclusive new membership scheme called The Mill Cornerstones for our thriving café and community hub.