In 2015 we teamed up with the Lancashire Evening Post and the Chorley/Leyland Guardian to run a campaign centred around our 30th anniversary.
We put together a list of things we wanted to achieve that year with our community’s support and were overwhelmed by the response we received.
There were 30 gifts to mark the 30 years we have been open – you can see how we did in the list below.
Thank you for your wonderful support.
1. 3,000 new friends on social media. A quick, easy and free way to communicate with our supporters – we want to reach out to even more people through social media. Click here to become our friend on Facebook, here to follow us on Twitter, here to follow us on Instagram, and here to connect with us on LinkedIn. COMPLETE!
2. 30 adrenalin junkies to skydive for us in September. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. COMPLETE!
3. 30 new volunteers at our shops. Helping to generate vital income and providing an important presence out in the communities we serve; 30 new volunteers at the hospice carrying out essential roles within the hospice building – from the admin office to the ward; 30 new volunteers at our events or for special projects to ensure all goes smoothly and raises as much money as possible. Click here to see the latest vacancies. COMPLETE!
4. 3 nature enthusiasts to monitor and record wildlife in St Catherine’s Park. As we continue to develop our grounds, we need the help of nature buffs who can keep track of the species who are making the area home. COMPLETE!
5. 30 new businesses choosing St Catherine’s Hospice as their Charity of the Year. We guarantee plenty of support to help you and your colleagues get the most of your year with us. COMPLETE!
6. 30 schools involved in our work. We want to inspire and encourage the next generation to support us – whilst busting myths about the hospice so youngsters aren’t anxious about St Catherine’s. COMPLETE!
7. 30 special events that we could be hired to provide catering for. COMPLETE!
8. 30 pledges in wills. A vital source of income for the charity, the care of 1 in 6 of our patients is funded by gifts in wills. COMPLETE!
9. 30 new students enrolled on our End of Life Diploma with Preston’s College. Spreading our specialist knowledge to even more people in our community by sharing our skills and expertise with more professionals. 20 students completed the training in 2015, with more due to study the programme in 2016.
10. 300 new lottery members would give 300 more people in our local community the chance of scooping the £2,000 jackpot each week- and £15,600 extra income for the hospice if they play for a year! £1 a week. COMPLETE!
11. 300 new regular givers, it is extremely difficult to raise the millions we need each year so, if we can attract 300 new regular givers donating just £3 a month (or more if you like!) we can raise £10,800 in our 30th anniversary year alone! OUTSTANDING: could you sign up to give a monthly gift to St Catherine’s? Click here for more information.
12. 3,000 Air Guitar Challenge Heroes. We want our anniversary to go viral – but we need you to get on board! Our challenge reached 75,000 people on social media and raised more than £400, thank you!
13. 3,000 visitors dropping off goods at our on-site Donation Centre for re-sale in our shops. Simply drive in and drop off and help keep our charity shops stocked! COMPLETE!
14. 300 Dashing Santas. Our fabulous festive fundraiser – just think of the sight of 300 red suits and beards jogging through Lostock Hall! SURPASSED! 150 Santas took part in the event at our Christmas Festival, while around 1,200 pupils took part in their Santa-themed events at school in December.
15. 300 sales of our 30th Anniversary cook book. A collection of fantastic recipes compiled by our talented nurses. Every self-respecting cook needs one on their shelf! OUTSTANDING: books on sale here and from the hospice gift shop.
16. 300 sales of our 30th Anniversary merchandise. An exclusive new range designed especially for our 30th anniversary. From £1 for a pen up to £17.95 for a golf umbrella. COMPLETE! Items still on sale here.
17. 1,000 walkers in our Moonlight and Memories Walk. Help make our 30th anniversary walk a real Night to Remember. More than 900 walkers took part and raised an incredible £84,000.
18. 300 donations of £30. A one-off gift for our birthday which would raise an amazing £9,000 – enough to run our in-patient and day therapy units and our community services for a day. OUTSTANDING! Click here to donate now.
19. A 30th birthday cake. Make our birthday ball go with a bang with a custom designed cake celebrating 30 years of St Catherine’s. COMPLETE! A big thank you to Celebration Cakes and Sugarcraft in Freckleton for donating this amazing creation.
20. Two nebulisers for our In-patient Unit. These help patients with respiratory conditions to breathe more easily. £60 each. SURPASSED!
21. 10 lock boxes to give vital protection to our syringe drivers. Our syringe drivers provide our patients with a steady dose of painkillers to help manage symptoms, but the device needs protecting from knocks and scrapes. Help us look after these important pieces of equipment by buying a lock box. £72 each. SURPASSED!
22. Hard flooring for two patient rooms. We have two remaining patient bedrooms with carpet, which we need replacing with hard flooring to help us reach the highest levels of infection control. £4,000. COMPLETE!
23. 30 patients receiving complementary therapies at home. After winning a grant from Lancashire County Council to pay for complementary therapies for carers at home, we’d now like some funding to be able to deliver these treatments to patients in the comfort of their own home too. £2,000 to fund a pilot project. OUTSTANDING – contact us if you’re interested in helping with this worthwhile project.
24. An Alaris pump for our In-Patient Unit. A fantastic device which allows the automatic regulation of fluids, medications and blood for patients. £3,260. COMPLETE!
25. 3 new specialised beds and pressure relieving mattresses for our patients. These make a huge difference in reducing pain and increasing comfort for our patients. £2,650 each for a mattress; £2,147 per frame. ON-GOING – two beds and mattresses bought. Could you fundraise to help buy the third?
26. A ‘moisture meter’ for our Woodside Lymphoedema Clinic. An extremely useful piece of equipment which can measure fluid in the head, neck and breast before and after treatment – allowing the team to monitor how effective it is and adapt accordingly. £3,950. COMPLETE!
27. Refurbish our patients’ conservatory. Sadly the old double glazing leaks which has affected the paintwork, and ageing furniture is too low to the floor and difficult to clean. £12-£15,000. ON-GOING – could you help us out with services in kind?
28. A new footbridge. We desperately need a new footbridge over the River Lostock to create access to our new car park and to open up our wetland for patients and visitors. COMPLETE! Our grateful thanks go to Preston North and South Rotary Clubs for funding this very special gift.
29. 2 sponsors for our spring and autumn newsletters. One of the major ways we keep in touch with our amazing supporters – help us offset the cost by sponsoring the design, print and delivery costs. £9,850. COMPLETE! A big thank you to Booths and KTG Social Care.
30. Finally, a very big birthday present: We need to re-decorate, refurbish and re-carpet the corridors next to patients’ rooms and to make the space more welcoming and uplifting. This will be very expensive but could be helped by gifts in kind from companies who do this kind of work. ONGOING -please get in touch to discuss if you can help in any way!
To get involved or for more information email email@example.com or call 01772 695290.